Whether you’re loading up on carbs before a big race, or just looking for a weekend breakfast treat, it’s hard to beat a good old stack of pancakes.
The basic recipe is pretty simple, and quick enough to whip up even on the laziest of mornings, but we’ve tweaked a few ingredients to make them a little more nutritious. As you may know, we’re big fans of coconut sugar here at PurePower, thanks to its delicious caramel-like flavor and higher levels of fiber, antioxidants, and minerals than regular sugar.
If you’re a fan of protein powder, you can switch out half the flour in this recipe for your favorite brand – bonus points if it’s chocolate flavored. Top with a little nut butter of your choice and you have a high-protein breakfast with very little effort.
We’ve also added our signature Daily Boost in Mocha flavor, which contains full-spectrum, vapor-extracted hemp oil, as well as 9mg per serving of CBD to help naturally restore the body’s balance.
Thanks to their chocolatey goodness, these pancakes are delicious on their own; however, if you want to take them to the next level, here are some delicious ideas for toppings:
- Chocolate-hazelnut spread topped with chopped nuts
- Summer fruits like strawberries, cherries, and raspberries
- Maple syrup and chopped dates or figs
- Peanut, almond, cashew, or sunflower butter, heated for a few seconds to make it pourable
- Sliced banana and blueberries
- Whipped coconut cream
Vegan Chocolate Pancakes
1 cup all-purpose flour (or ½ cup of flour, ½ cup protein powder)
1 tbsp Baking powder
⅓ cup High-quality vegan cocoa powder
2 tbsp Coconut sugar
½ tsp Salt
1 cup Plant milk of your choice (soy works best)
1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 tbsp Sunflower oil or cooking spray
- Add the plant milk and the vinegar/lemon juice to a small bowl or jug, a, stir well, and set aside for 5-10 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients. This makes a plant-based version of buttermilk to make the pancakes extra fluffy.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl, lifting the sieve high to ensure that plenty of air enters into the batter.
- Add the cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and baking powder to the flour and mix well, ensuring there are no lumps.
- Add the PurePower Daily Boost, vanilla extract, and buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients, then mix carefully, ensuring that you don’t overmix. You should have a thick batter that is not completely smooth.
- Heat a skillet or frying pan to a high temperature, and either spray with cooking oil or wipe a little oil over it with a paper towel. You want a very thin layer, just to prevent the pancakes from sticking.
- Add ¼ to ½ a cup of batter to the pan for each pancake, and cook for a few minutes until it starts to bubble. Then flip and cook for a few minutes on the other side. Serve hot and fresh, alone or with your favorite toppings.