Hash browns have been around since at least the 1880s, and remain one of the country’s most popular breakfast foods. We’ve come up with a great new twist on hash browns that are not only sweet and tasty but they are also more nutritious thanks to the inclusion of sweet potatoes and organic hemp oil.
This recipe is also great because it’s adaptable: we’ve matched your favorite flavors of Daily Boost with spice blends that complement them perfectly, so you can enjoy a balanced breakfast, while starting your day off right.
Sweet Potato: Wonder Spud?
Sweet potatoes, which are not actually related to regular potatoes, grow on a flowering vine that is in the same family as the Morning Glory flower. These tuberous roots are high in fiber, vitamins (especially vitamin A), minerals, and antioxidants. The fiber content means that they are easily digested, and can be beneficial for gut health, while vitamin A helps to support the body’s immune system. Sweet potatoes, especially the ones with orange flesh, are also a good source of beta-carotene, which is important for maintaining healthy vision. Recently, some studies have suggested certain types of sweet potato could have anti-inflammatory properties too!
2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean
¼ cup flour of your choice: gluten-free varieties work here, including gram (chickpea) flour, which is high in protein
1 tbsp flax seeds
2 tbsp warm water
2 tbsp maple syrup
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp coconut oil to fry
—6 Pumps Daily Boost Lemon Turmeric + 1 ½ tsp ground ginger
—OR 6 Pumps Daily Boost Mocha + 2 tsp cinnamon
—OR 6 Pumps Daily Boost Mixed Berry + 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- Mix together the flax seeds and the water, then set aside for 10 minutes to thicken. This will make an egg substitute which will help to bind the mixture together. It is also high in Omega-3.
- Grate the sweet potatoes with the peel still on as this is where the majority of the nutrients are.
- Add the grated sweet potato to a mixing bowl and add the salt, flour, and spices. Mix well, then add the flax mix.
- Chill the mixture for a few minutes while you heat up the skillet. Then form it into patties and fry over medium heat for a few minutes on each side until crispy and golden.
- To serve, mix the Daily Boost flavor of your choice into the syrup, and drizzle over. This is also delicious served with chopped seeds and nuts, dried fruit, fresh berries, sliced banana, or plant-based yogurt.