Reboot, like all the core PurePower products, was born from the personal experiences of founders Sean McCabe and Don McLaughlin. As part of his recovery process from stress-induced burnout in his mid-40s, Don turned to ultra-endurance mountain trail running. This physically demanding sport, though great for his mood and mental clarity, took its toll on his body in terms of pain, inflammation and long recovery times.
It was during this time that Don had already started experimenting with combining herbs and botanicals to combat stress and sleep more deeply. But as he started running longer and longer distances, Don began researching and experimenting with different herbal combinations to help accelerate his recovery, alleviate joint discomfort, and increase his range of motion. Initially, he began experimenting with combining turmeric and hemp and then started adding several other herbs long used in Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine.
Part of Don’s motivation came from both a desire to improve his athletic performance, but due to stress-related health issues, it also came from the need to find a solution that would be more gentle on his body than over-the-counter or prescription analgesics and NSAIDs. He wanted to restore balance holistically across his body’s systems, rather than just target one symptom.
He discovered that by taking these adaptogens in combination, especially paired with high quality hemp-derived CBD, he was able to reduce aches and discomfort while he was running, as well as recover much faster. Encouraged, he shared what he found with his cousin Sean and with a relative who was trained in traditional Chinese medicine.
As it turned out, Don had discovered something which has been known and used in traditional medicine for many years. Not only are many botanicals and minerals more effective when taken in combination, but it also appears hemp acts as a “master adaptogen,” enhancing the positive impacts of other adaptogens taken at the same time.
Yet there were very few products available at the time that made the most of this knowledge, blending hemp-CBD with complementary herbs and botanicals for better absorption and deeper, more long-lasting impacts. From here, the idea for PurePower was born.
The first stage for Sean and Don was to work with friends and family as beta testers, to work out which areas of their lives they would like to see improved. This beta testing showed four key areas that testers felt they needed the most support with: stress and anxiety management, sleep, energy, and recovery. This input led to the creation of each of the components of the PurePower System: Daily Boost, PowerUp, Reboot, and PowerDown.
Key Herbs to Reboot Quickly: PurePower’s Inside-Out Recovery Complex
From the very beginning, Sean and Don’s first priority was sourcing the highest quality, ethically-produced ingredients, to ensure that they would deliver maximum benefits. This focus remains today, and all of the ingredients in PurePower products are sourced using this benchmark, as well as subjected to rigorous testing to meet the highest industry standards.
The base of Reboot, like all our products, is our organically grown full-spectrum Pristine Hemp that is cultivated and harvested sustainably by our partner farming Colorado. We’re passionate about our hemp, because of its unique nutrient-dense phytocompound profile that nourishes the Endocannabinoid System unlike anything else we could find.
Building on and enhanced by the Pristine Hemp is our Inside-Out Recovery Complex, a proprietary blend of herbs, botanicals, vitamins, and minerals that PurePower’s herbalist specially chose to holistically support the body’s ability to quickly recover, rebuild, and renew. Like all PurePower products, however, Reboot works most effectively when taken consistently overtime followed by a brief period of 5 – 7 days cycling off and discontinuing use of the product every 30 days.
Protecting the Immune System
Immune system support is vital for athletes and high performers, which is why we have included a number of adaptive ingredients that help to support healthy immune function. Not only can this aid recovery, but it can also help to mitigate the strain that heavy exertion can put on the immune system. Indeed, many athletes have compromised immune systems, which can be detrimental to long term performance. Here is a bit more about some of the ingredients in Reboot and the science behind them:
- At PurePower we’re huge fans of milk thistle thanks to its powerful ability to protect and detox the liver, as well as promoting healthy immune function. If you’re taking over-the-counter pain medication for pain or inflammation, it is especially important to protect your liver as many NSAIDs like ibuprofen or acetaminophen can cause liver damage if taken long-term.
- Cordyceps, a type of mushroom, is also believed to protect the liver, especially in traditional Chinese medicine. It is also believed to protect the respiratory system, boost energy levels, and combat stress, making it a highly sought-after adaptogen.
- Ginger is well-known for its use as a digestive aid, and it is now thought to help the processes of nutrient absorption and bioavailability, helping your body to get the most out of what you consume.
- Barberry, also known as berberis, is a type of berry that contains an alkaloid that studies show can help stimulate the immune system and prevent infections.
- Turmeric is fast becoming recognized as a superfood thanks to its powerful antioxidant properties that are thought to help protect the liver and promote healthy function of the circulatory system and inflammatory responses.
- Vitamins C and D are vital to maintaining a fully-functioning immune system. Studies also show that they play a role in supporting healthy inflammatory responses.
For athletes and non-athletes alike, living with discomfort can severely impact performance, sleep, and quality of life. The following ingredients were specially included in Reboot for their discomfort-reducing properties.
- Boswellia, a tree native to India, is thought to have natural anti-inflammatory and soothing properties and is sold in some places as an alternative to over-the-counter NSAIDs.
- Wild lettuce (Lactuca virosa) is related to common lettuce (Lactuca sativa), and can actually be eaten in a salad. However, it has also traditionally been used as a mild sedative and as pain relief, particularly the milky sap from its stem. Although there haven’t been many human studies, trials on mice have shown impressive results.
- White willow bark has been used as far back as ancient Egypt as a treatment for fever and pain related to muscle soreness and cramps, arthritis, and headaches. That’s because it is actually a precursor to aspirin: the full name for aspirin, acetylsalicylic acid, comes from the Latin word salix, meaning willow.
Mobility and range of movement are hugely important not just for athletes but everyone living an active lifestyle., But optimal mobility and range of motion can be difficult to maintain, especially after an injury or as we grow older. Therefore, we selected the following botanical ingredients for Reboot to promote mobility and to support a healthy inflammation response in the body.
- Bromelain has long been used in traditional homeopathic medicine to aid recovery after an injury thanks to its potential muscle relaxant properties that can also help to reduce swelling.
- Lion’s mane is another type of mushroom, native to Europe, Asia, and North America. It is a potent antioxidant that has been shown to enhance mobility and boost endurance thanks to the way it supports the healthy function of the heart and circulatory systems, as well as promote the body’s inflammatory responses.
- Resveratrol is a type of natural phenol, found in plants like raspberries, mulberries, blueberries, grapes, and peanuts. Studies suggest that resveratrol could help support the brain and body’s capacity to heal, including inflammation response.
- Magnesium is a mineral that is vital to many systems in the body, yet a recent study found that as many as 1 in 2 Americans aren’t getting enough. Low levels of magnesium have been linked to a number of chronic conditions, from migraines to hypertension to cardiovascular disease. Studies suggest that magnesium is also very important for athletes, both in terms of exercise performance and recovery. That’s because it helps to activate enzyme pathways that allow the body to rebuild, regenerate, and renew.