If you follow any lifestyle blogs on social media, chances are you’ve started seeing a proliferation of bright purple breakfast bowls topped artfully with layers of brightly colored sliced fruit. These are acai bowls (acai is pronounced ah-sigh-ee), and they are becoming so popular that – dare we say it – they might even be the new avocado toast!
However, these fruity breakfasts are more than just a great shot for the grid – they are healthy, easy to make, and, most importantly, delicious. Here, we’ll share a great base recipe, as well as ideas for topping combos so that you can switch up your breakfast every day of the week.
Acai bowls come from Brazil, where the acai berry also originates. There, they are usually topped with tropical fruit and granola – a savory version also exists that is topped with dried fish or shrimp, though this might be more of an acquired taste! Acai berries are actually the fruit of the acai palm tree, which grows in South American rainforests. These berries, which look like small grapes or large blueberries, have an amazing purple color that gives acai bowls their distinctive hue.
Like other berries, acai berries are thought to be high in antioxidants and vitamin C; however, they are lower in sugar than most common berries, with a higher fat content (these are healthy fats though, like omega fatty acids). People also describe the taste as chocolatey, which is definitely a bonus.
In the USA, they are usually sold frozen, which works perfectly for a smoothie. If you can’t find frozen acai berries, you can also buy freeze-dried acai berry powder – to use this in the recipe, simply add 2tbsp of the powder and an extra cup of frozen mixed berries in place of the frozen puree.
We’ve also added Daily Boost by PurePower, which goes perfectly with the acai bowl thanks to its Mixed Berry flavor. With 9mg per serving of Performance CBD from vapor-extracted hemp oil that is grown sustainably in Colorado, it can help to restore the body’s harmony and balance and modulate stress responses.
PurePower Acaí Bowl Recipe
Makes 2 bowls
- 1 cup frozen acai berry puree (about 8 oz)
- ½ banana, sliced and frozen
- ½ cups mixed frozen berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc.)
- ¼ cup plant milk (we used almond milk) or apple juice
- 6 pumps Daily Boost by PurePower in Mixed Berry flavor
- Toppings of your choice (see below for ideas)
- Chopped mango chunks
- Sliced organic strawberry
- Kiwi chunks or slices
- Chia, flax, or poppy seeds
- Shredded dried coconut
- Banana slices
- Organic blueberries
- Organic raspberries
- Pomegranate seeds
- Flaked almonds (toast them in a hot pan for a few seconds for extra flavor)
- Cacao nibs
- Goji berries
- Place the frozen berries, acai berry puree, frozen banana, Daily Boost, and plant milk into a blender or smoothie maker and blend until smooth. You should have a thick, bright purple smoothie.
- Divide the mixture between two bowls and add toppings of your choice – be as artistic as you like!
- Snap a shot for Instagram (you won’t be able to resist) and enjoy it immediately.