If you’re eating a plant-based diet, then French toast – also known as eggy bread – might seem like a treat you can no longer enjoy. However, thanks to the wonders of tofu, now everyone can make this breakfast classic.
Instead of eggs, this recipe uses extra-firm tofu, which not only cooks up to an amazing crisp but also packs in over 20g of protein per cup! The other ingredients are what you would expect in a French toast recipe, although we’ve subbed in plant milk (whichever your favorite is) and coconut sugar. We love coconut sugar here at PurePower thanks to its lower glycemic index and higher antioxidant and mineral content, including potassium, zinc, calcium, and iron.
The only ingredient you might not recognize is black salt, which is a type of rock salt originally from South Asia. It has a slightly sulfurous smell which, strangely enough, adds an eggy flavor to vegan dishes. If this doesn’t appeal, simply switch it for another high-quality rock salt.
We’ve also cooked up two deliciously decadent topping options, each one featuring a signature flavor of PurePower Daily Boost. Whether you love the coffee-chocolate combo of mocha cream or prefer the sweet tanginess of a mixed berry compote, Daily Boost helps you to naturally restore and rebalance thanks to its full-spectrum, vapor extracted hemp oil. What better way is there to start the day?
Basic Vegan French Toast Recipe
Makes 6 slices
- ½ cup extra-firm block tofu (unflavored)
- Pinch black salt
- ½ cup plant milk of your choice
- ½ tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 6 thick slices stale bread (gluten-free if necessary)
- Oil to fry
- Add all the ingredients except the bread and oil to a blender and mix until completely smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a wide, shallow dish and dip the bread into it on both sides, taking care to coat thoroughly. Set aside.
- Add the oil to a thick-bottomed frying pan or skillet and set it over a medium flame to heat up.
- Fry the coated bread slices for a few minutes on each side, taking care to move them around occasionally to prevent sticking. They should turn golden brown and caramelize slightly.
- Once cooked, serve immediately with one of the two toppings below.
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp high-quality cocoa powder
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 6 pumps PurePower Daily Boost Mocha flavor
- Place the unopened can of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight to allow it to solidify. Put your mixing bowl in to chill at the same time, as this helps the cream to stay solid as you whisk it.
- The next day, open the tin of coconut milk and carefully spoon the solidified cream off the top, adding it to the mixing bowl. You can save the coconut water underneath to use in a smoothie.
- Add the remaining ingredients and whisk by hand or with a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Spoon the mocha cream over the French toast and serve immediately – with a drizzle of chocolate sauce if you’re feeling fancy.
Mixed Berry Compote
- 1 ½ cups frozen mixed berries
- 1 ½ tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp coconut sugar (to taste)
- 6 pumps PurePower Daily Boost Mixed Berry flavor
- Add all the ingredients except the PurePower Daily Boost to a pan and bring to the boil over medium heat.
- Once bubbling, reduce to a simmer and cook for around 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. The fruit should break down and begin to make a rich, red-purple sauce.
- Allow to cool for around 10 minutes, then stir through the PurePower Daily boost and serve with a dusting of powdered coconut sugar.