As days get shorter, and skies get gloomier, it can be harder to stay on the ‘bright side’ of things in life. In fact, seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that’s related to changes in seasons and affects an estimated 10 million Americans.
When seasons change, so do our routines, and the way that we feel – not just physically, but mentally, too. Luckily, research is proving that hemp and its all-natural compounds and cannabinoids have the capabilities to elevate the mood, and provide specific mental health effects and benefits.
So, what’s the latest on CBD for mental health? Let’s find out with our ultimate guide on how CBD is able to affect moods, the most recent study results, and the best CBD for mental health to try, first.
How CBD Affects the Mood
To understand how CBD actually can affect your mood or mental health, it’s important to know more about the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS is a lesser-known physiological system that wasn’t yet discovered until the late 1980s when cannabis research increased. Through this research, it was found that the body has a network of neurotransmitters that send messages to and from other systems with one purpose – to maintain homeostasis.
Homeostasis by definition is “the state of steady internal, physical, and chemical conditions maintained by living systems.” For humans, that means the optimal conditions in health or the overall feeling, of feeling ‘well’. This means, not only is the ECS responsible for regulating everyday functions that affect our physical health but mental health as well.
The results of one study recently published findings that stated the ECS, is “fundamental for emotional homeostasis and cognitive function. Thus, deregulation of the different elements that are part of the endocannabinoid system may contribute to the pathophysiology of several mental disorders.”
CBD, when consumed, directly interacts with and influences the ECS and its network of receptors which is how its effects can be felt and affect such a wide range of conditions.
CBD for Mental Health Studies
Of course, since CBD was just recently legalized, there have only been a handful of studies conducted that prove its efficacy for mental health conditions. With that said, let’s review what researchers have uncovered so far-
- In a large case study of adults who suffer from anxiety and poor sleep, 66% of participants experienced an improvement in sleep quality after taking 25mg of CBD for a month, daily.
- Other studies on animals and humans have published results that using CBD can help decrease feelings of isolation, reduce the effects of PTSD, and even relieve autism symptoms.
- A 2019 study that explored the benefits of cannabis for mental health found that CBD was successful at reducing social anxiety in a similar fashion as prescription medications.
- In 2015 a study review concluded that CBD could be a potential treatment for the conditions –
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Social anxiety
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Another 2019 study found that participants with PTSD who were administered an oral dose of CBD, in addition to routine psychiatric treatment reported a reduction in symptoms.
Now, if you’re interested in putting these studies to the test and are new to consuming CBD – you might wonder, what is the best CBD for mental health to try first? We’ll cover that next.
The Best CBD for Mental Health
If you’ve learned anything about the plethora of CBD products on the market today, it’s the fact that not all can be treated equally. The quality, potency, and bioavailability of each product vary from brand to brand and differ per the type of consumption method too.
So, if you’re beginning to explore the world of hemp CBD for mental health benefits what are some factors to look for?
- Quality – Look for brands and CBD for mental health products that are transparent about their hemp source and lab testing results, and are manufactured in a GMP-certified facility for the utmost quality.
- Ingredients – While hemp and CBD are highly beneficial on their own, many products are now specially formulated to contain a wide variety of all-natural ingredients that can provide additional support for mental health benefits. Like ashwagandha, reishi, magnesium and beyond.
All in all, it’s also important to keep in mind that CBD affects every person differently too, depending on unique and individual factors. For instance, weight, tolerance, metabolism, and even genetics (and gender) can affect the way CBD influences and interacts with your endocannabinoid system. So, it’s best to experiment with CBD on your own, outside of taking anyone else’s word on what or how to consume it.
To help, go ‘low and slow’ with CBD oil dosages and journal how you feel with the amount you take. From there you can find capsules that have the appropriate strength that works for you, and fine-tune your routines to supplement your own personal balance of health.
Keep in mind, it’s not just CBD that’ll help you combat stress, or improve sleep for improved moods. Medical experts now say, staying active regularly can decrease your risk for heart disease, some cancers, and diabetes, as well as help you improve the way you manage stress and how soundly you sleep, too.
If getting moving gets more difficult for you in the fall as temperatures drop, power up your wellness routines with the power of hemp. CBD’s natural anti-inflammatory nature can help ease achy joints and muscle soreness, making it easier to exercise and recover faster, to repeat the routine daily.
Shop Pure Power’s full collection of balms, oils, and capsules to help you feel your best (mentally and physically!) no matter the season.